Monday, May 13, 2013

Coordinating Your Chipboard w/Any Type of Project!

Good morning Blue Fern Studios friends! Erin Blegen here with you today :). I'm going to be sharing 3 different types of projects (layout, card, and tag) and how you can make your chipboard coordinate- no matter your style or project {type} preference. 

I remember when I was new to raw chipboard, I didn't know quite how I would make those pieces become a part of my project without standing out- in a bad way. So if you feel like that yourself- don't worry! If you haven't had much experience with working with chipboard, that is a completely normal reservation! But today I would like to encourage those with this fear to try out some of these simple techniques- and get yourself on your way to becoming a chipboard altering fool ;)!

"Walk"
I like that I almost have to guess myself which of the embellishments here are chipboard- because they blend so nicely with the rest of the layout. And all it takes is a little bit of recognition of the papers and other products with which you are working, and applying those features to your chipboard.

Take for example this Ironwork Accents piece. I simply used a rubber stamp from my personal collection that complimented my papers and used it to stamp my primed (w/gesso) chipboard. I then used it as a meeting place for the seam binding that stretches across the page, topping off its center with a bow. Super easy- ANYONE (with some stamps and ink, that is) can do this!

The exact same idea was repeated here. I cut this piece off of the bottom of the Garden Gate (You will find that I love to piece apart- and stretch the use of- my chipboard!)

Here I've taken a panel from the Lattice Fence and mimicked the look of the metal embellishment beside it. I've done this by using a stone-colored distress ink dabbed very lightly over top.

Blue Fern Studios Products Used:

Ironwork Accents

Garden Gate

Lattice Fence

Floral Clock (one of the hands)

"This Wonderful Life" {Card}
Here again I've made this gorgeous piece from the Brigitte Butterfly Set become a part of my project. 

I actually used a butterfly stamp with some brown distress ink to create the pattern on this piece. I felt this particular design was complimentary to my papers. After drying, I used a sandy colored chalk ink very lightly over top to tone down the white of the gesso (used to prime the piece before stamping). 

Blue Fern Studios Products Used:

Brigitte Butterfly Set

"You Make Life Beautiful" {Tag}
Finally, I have a tag to share. I chose to use one of the Petite Boutique Frames, which I simply primed with gesso before using blue embossing powder and setting it with a heat gun. I love the beautiful, glossy finish- and that this design was the perfect platform for the resin piece I was to layer next.

Next came one of the Vintage Locks, which I decorated with some blue microbeads. Again, an altering idea that anyone can do!

Blue Fern Studios Products Used:

Petite Boutique Frames

Vintage Locks

Thanks for coming by the Blue Fern Studios blog today! I hope I've been able to offer a few simple techniques and have encouraged you to try some of them very soon :).

Take care!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful projects and very informative post on how to work with chipboard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Candy! I'm so glad you enjoyed it and hope you learned something :),

      xErin

      Delete